Toll and tag questions answered

Short cuts:

How to pay for toll roads

  • Q. Are there cash booths to pay for tolls?

    A. There are no cash booths on any toll roads in Australia. E-way tags work on all roads.  Or to pay a once off M5 South-West Motorway toll click here.

  • Q. I've travelled on a toll road. How do I pay?

    A. For the occasional trip we recommend our Regular account without a tag.  Sign up within three days of your trip.  

  • Q. Can I use my E-way account on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Tunnel?

    A. Yes, an E-way accounts work on all toll roads, bridges and tunnels in Australia.

  • Q. Where do E-way tags work?

    A. E-way tags work on all toll roads, bridges and tunnels in Australia.

  • Q. How does tolling work based on number plates (also known as licence plate numbers - LPNs - and car registration numbers)?

    A. Number plate tolling works by matching images of your number plate (licence plate, car registration number) to the details on your E-way account.  An LPN (also known as 'vehicle matching') fee may apply.

  • Q. How long do I have to pay my toll?

    A. You have three days to pay after your trip on a toll road.  After that you will be issued a toll notice that includes a $10 or $20 administration fee.

  • Q. I am planning to visit Sydney for a short period, how do I pay the toll?

    A. We recommend our Regular account, which can be opened with a $20 refundable tag deposit and $40 toll prepayment (covers on average 5 to 10 one-way trips on Sydney toll roads)

  • Q. I drive a motorcycle. Do I need to pay the same toll as a car?

    A. Yes.  The toll rate is the same for a car and a motorcycle as they both occupy a similar length of road space.

  • Q. Where can I find more information about toll roads in Sydney?

    A. Click here to see a map of Sydney’s motorways.

How tags work

  • Q. Which account should I get?

    A. That depends on how often you use toll roads, how many vehicles you have, and how and when you want to pay. Compare our products to choose what suits you best.

  • Q. Are there different tags for cars and trucks (different vehicle classes)?

    A. Yes.  There's a car tag for Class 1 (motorcycle) and Class 2 (car) vehicles. There's a truck tag for Class 4 (trucks) vehicles.  There are also different holders depending on whether you have a vertical or sloped windscreen.  A Class 2 vehicle is under 2.8m high, with no more than 2 axles, or a vehicle under 2.8m high, with no more than 2 axles towing a trailer under 2m high with only one axle.  A Class 4 vehicle exceeds the dimensions for Class 2. 

  • Q: Can I use an E-way tag on any road?

    A: Yes. An E-way tag can be used on all toll roads, bridges and tunnels throughout Australia.

  • Q: How do I know that my E-way tag has worked properly? (What do beeps mean?)

    Tag sound What it means
    One beep or ‘bleep bleep’      Enough credit
    More than one beep Your E-way account needs attention. Log in to check your balance or call us on 1300 555 833 as soon as possible.
    No sound There may be a problem, check that your tag is installed according to the instructions provided and if the problem persists contact us

    Q. What do I do if my tag did not beep?

  • A: This can happen because of a tolling system or tag issue.  Contact us so we can investigate this for you.  

  • Q: What do I do if I think my tag is faulty?

    A: Contact us so we can investigate this for you.

  • Q. How and where can I exchange my tag?

    A: You can exchange your tag by returning it either by mail to E-way, Private Bag 78 Moorebank NSW 1875, or by dropping into our office.

  • Q: Can I move or swap my E-way tag between vehicles?

    A: Yes, you can swap a tag between vehicles of the same class.  Please take care when removing them from the bracket. We recommend you order a tag for each of your vehicles.

  • Q. How do I install or remove my E-way tag?

    A. Click on the picture of the tag that looks like yours for a PDF of installation and removal instructions:

    Original tag QFree tag Small tag Q2 tag
  • Q: My windscreen has a special coating – where should I install my tag?

    A. If your vehicle has a coated (sometimes called metallic) windscreen, check the manual (or contact the manufacturer or distributor) for the correct position on the windscreen to install your tag.

  • Q: How do I get more or replacement E-way tags?

    A. Simply log into your account and order online, or contact us.

  • Q: How do I get more or replacement E-way brackets/holders?

    A. You can order a bracket online (postage & handing fee $2) or collect it for free by dropping into our office.

  • Q. What should I do if I lose my E-way tag or it gets stolen?

    A. Log into your account or contact us ASAP to report a tag stolen and order a replacement.

E-way accounts

  • Q. How do I update my credit card details online?

    A. Log into your account.  Click 'My details' (left hand menu) and then 'Payment details' (top menu).  Fill in the 'Choose payment method form' and press 'Save'.    

  • Q. Can I request an old statement?

    A. Yes.  First check whether it is available to you when you log into your account.  If not, contact us to order a reprint. A reprint costs $8 and we'll need the start and end date for the period you require.  

  • Q.What should I do if I have a complaint?

    A. Contact us and we will respond to within 24-48 hours.

  • Q: How safe are my personal details online?

    A: E-way does not store credit card information. Credit card data is transferred from our website to a secure data vault. Once the transfer is complete the data is removed from the website and only the first 6 digits and last 3 digits are displayed on your account. Your data is protected by the latest encryption technology which prevents data from being accessed by unauthorised users.

  • Q: I didn’t use the "Log Out" option when exiting, is this threat to the security of my account details?

    A: We recommend that you always logout, however once you have closed your browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) you will be logged out automatically. You are also logged out automatically after five minutes of inactivity.  

  • Q. How do I change the name of my E-way account?

    A. Send us documented proof of the change. (a) Personal - Certificate of marriage, divorce or name change, or statutory declaration witnessed by a justice of the peace declaring change of name. (b) Company - Written authorisation on letterhead by primary account holder, or a copy of the certificate of registration on change of name issued by the Australian Securities Commission.  

  • Q. How do I change the account holder of an E-way account from an individual to a company?

    A. Send us documented proof (a) written authorisation from the primary account holder requesting the change of name and (b) signed acceptance from the nominated company authority on company letterhead and (c) a copy of the Certificate of Registration of a Company for the nominated company

  • Q. How do I change the account holder on an E-way account from a company to an individual?

    A. Send us documented proof (a) written authorisation from the company’s primary authority on the account requesting the change of name and (b) signed acceptance from the nominated party.  

  • Q.How can I change the name of an account relating to a deceased estate? 

    A. Please contact us for personalised assistance.  

  • Q: How do I close my account?
If you have a tag(s) to return to us.
  • Post tag/s to E-way, Reply Paid 61028, Moorebank, NSW, 1875, accompanied by a letter asking for your account to be closed.  If you've paid a deposit, it will be refunded when we get the tag back in good order.
If you are unable to return any of your tag(s) 
  • Log into your account 
  • Choose ‘TAGS & LICENCE PLATES’ on the left hand menu
  • Choose ‘FAULTY/LOST/STOLEN TAGS’ from the top menu
  • Follow the prompts to report ‘STOLEN TAG’ or ‘LOST TAG’
  • Then email us, including your account number and full contact details asking for your account to be closed.
  • Please note a $20 lost or stolen fee, or forfeit of the tag deposit, may apply


Tip: Are you owed a refund?  Make sure your payment details are up to date.


Getting an account

  • Q. Why choose an E-way account?

    A. An E-way account sets you up to pay for any toll road in Australia. E-way is Australia’s longest running tag provider so you can trust you’ll get the experienced support you need.

  • Q. Which account should I get?

    A. That depends on how often you use toll roads, how many vehicles you have, and how and when you want to pay. Compare our products to choose what suits you best.

  • Q: How long will it take to receive my tag?

    A: 7 - 10 working days, after payment has been received

  • Q: Can I travel on toll roads before I receive my tag?

    A: Yes, although tollroads apply a vehicle matching fee in addition to the toll when travelling without a correctly installed tag.

  • Q: Can I pick-up the tag myself?

    A: Yes. You can choose to collect your tag in person when you open an account or order an extra tag. We will notify you when your tag is ready to pick up from our office on The M5 Motorway at Moorebank.

  • Q. Is there a tag for motorcyclists?

    A. You can register your motorcycle number plate to any E-way tag account. Motorcyclists do not need to carry a tag (vehicle matching fees are waived).

  • Q: I’m applying for an E-way Regular account and can only add four vehicles online. How do I add more?

    A: Complete the online application. Then contact us with your new account number to request additional vehicles and / or tags or use your account number to login and manage your vehicles and tags anytime.

  • Q: How do I know if my online application completed successfully?

    A: Once you click "finish" on the confirmation page, you will then see the last page with application completed. An email will be sent informing you of your account number.

Win by using your E-way tag

  • Q. How does the Win an iPAD promotion work?

    A. Every month E-way gives away an iPAD to three tag account customers. To be in the running you just need to make sure your E-way account payments are on time; your E-way account is in order and your E-way tag is installed and working for all trips

Business solutions

  • Q. What can E-way do to assist with my business tolling needs?

    A. We can cater for any size business, tailoring our service to suit your needs.  Talk to us about whether our Regular account would best suit, or whether you need a Commercial account to manage tolls for your whole fleet.

  • Q. Why should we consider E-way for business tolling?

    A. E-way is the longest running tag provider, offering many years of experience.  We're reliable so you can depend on us to be on time and accurate.  Plus we are flexible so you can talk to us about the particular needs of your business.  

  • Q. What do you offer that stands out from competitors?

    E-way has a proven reputation for reliably meeting the specific needs of customers.  We've been known to think outside the square to manage tolling in a way that meets the goals of our business partners.  

  • Q. Which businesses use E-way?

    A. We manage accounts for small privately owned businesses right through to large government departments, road shipping companies and car hire or leasing agencies.  

  • Q. What reporting do you offer?

    A. We provide your tolling data in tailored formats as convenient ready reports, and data for manipulation.  

  • Q. Are there guidelines for businesses that suit or qualify for your Commercial account?

    Yes, E-way's Commercial account would generally suit businesses that spend $1000+ a month in tolls.

Toll notices

  • Q. I have an account. Why have I received a toll notice?

    A. You may have received a toll notice because your vehicle registration details were not recognised and matched to your account or there is a problem with your tag or toll account.   Please contact us.

    Q. How do I query a toll notice?

  • A. Follow the instructions on the toll notice.  Note that there may be different instructions for each notice if you have one for more than one toll road.  

  • Q. How do I pay a toll notice or late toll?

    A. If you haven’t organised to pay within 3 days of your first trip you will be issued a notice to pay the toll which will include an administration fee of $10 or $20. To pay, follow the instructions on the notice. If you are late paying an M5 only trip and have not yet received a toll notice click here.

  • Q. How do I use a virtual tag number to pay a toll notice?

    A. If you've chosen a Regular account without a tag you'll have a virtual tag number that you can use to pay a toll notice.  You'll find this in 'Tags and number plates' when logged into your account.  When the form to pay a toll notice asks for the tag number, use the last eight digits of your virtual tag number (starting with '8'). 

NSW Government M5 Cashback and Toll Relief schemes

  • Q. What is Toll Relief?

    A. It is a NSW Government scheme that may enable some customers to claim one free rego.  Rules apply.  Visit the Service NSW website to find out how Toll Relief works and get answers to frequently asked questions.  You are automatically registered for Toll Relief.

  • Q. How do I qualify for a free rego through Toll Relief?

    A. You need to check the full conditions on the Service NSW website. However in brief you need to have spent $1300 in trips in a financial year using your main tag.  Trips on the M5 South-West Motorway don't count if you are registered for Cashback.  

  • Q. How do I know how close I am to $1300, or if I've earned a free rego?

    A. There's a personalised tool that shows what your tally is, whether there's a free rego to claim, and which regos you can choose between when you log into the Service NSW website choose the 'Toll Relief' service in your 'Services' box on the dashboard.  

  • Q. How do I use my free rego?

    A. There's an automatic option when you qualify and you go to renew a registration.  Don't forget, you don't have to use it for the first rego due that year - you can choose which vehicle you register for free - as long as the vehicle is listed on your E-way account.  

  • Q. My renewal is due, but I can't automatically see a free rego offer, what do I do?

    A. You need to pay your registration renewal by the due date.  After that you can submit a claim to Service NSW for reimbursement or special consideration.  Log into the Service NSW website, choose the 'Toll Relief' service in your 'Services' box on the dashboard, and click 'Apply' for the reimbursement form.  

  • Q. M5 trips - whould I use the M5 Cashback OR the Toll Relief scheme?

    A. You need to work out whether there's more value to you to get your cash back on your M5 trips, or to have them add toward the $1300 needed for a free rego.  If you keep using Cashback, trips on other toll roads will still count toward Toll Relief.  If you opt out of Cashback it's only trips from the time you opted out that will go toward Toll Relief (you can't back date them, whether you've claimed them through Cashback or not).    

  • Q. What is the M5 Cashback Scheme?

    A. It is a NSW Government scheme where trips on the M5, excluding GST, can be claimed for a Cashback for eligible drivers.

  • Q. How do I know whether I am registered or not?

    A. When you log into your account, if you are registered you'll see a blue 'CLAIM M5 CASHBACK' button at the top of the Statements & Cashback page.  To opt in or out, please contact us.  

  • Q. Does Cashback apply on the M4?

    A. No.  The NSW Government Cashback scheme does not apply to trips on the M4.

  • Q. Who is eligible to claim M5 Cashback?

    A. Under the NSW Government M5 Cashback Scheme you can claim back your M5 tolls (excluding GST) if:

    • You are a NSW resident
    • You are driving a vehicle registered in NSW for private use, pensioner or charitable use.  Trips made using government or business registered vehicles (including vehicles provided as part of a salary package), leased vehicles, rented vehicles, smash repair courtesy vehicles, car dealership loan vehicles, interstate registered vehicles or any other vehicle where business usage is shown on the registration papers, for example 'business general' or 'primary producer' are ineligible.
    • You have an electronic tag account that is registered for Cashback
    • You have paid M5 tolls with using a NSW issued electronic tag
    • You have submitted your claim within twelve months of the close of the Cashback quarter.  Claims received more than 12 months after the close of each quarter will not be accepted.  
  • Q. How can I claim the M5 Cashback

    A. You claim your Cashback every three months by clicking ‘Claim Cashback’ when you are logged in, or by sending a signed form to the RMS. Rebates must be claimed within 12 months of the end of the Cashback quarter.

  • Q. I like to get my statements in the mail. Can I still claim Cashback online?

    A. Yes. Even though you receive paper statements you can still log-in and use the ‘Claim Cashback’ button to securely access and claim your Cashback trips online.

  • Q: How do I register my tag account for M5 Cashback?

    A: You can select ‘Yes’ to register for Cashback when you open an account, or contact us to register your existing account for Cashback.

  • Q: Who do I contact with any other Cashback questions?

    A: For additional information about the M5 Cashback scheme, or to enquire about a lodged Cashback rebate, please contact RMS M5 Cashback Office on 1300 133 310 or email

Using your tag at Sydney airport

  • Q. How do I find out about Sydney Airport parking?

    A. Visit Sydney Airport's pick up page.

  • Q. How do I identify payments for Sydney Airport on my E-way statement?

    A. The lane information for the trip will have the code 'SAB'

  • Q. Who do I contact to query transactions at the Sydney Airport?

    A. You can provide the details direct to Sydney Airport using this form

  • Q. Do I have to use my tag for short term parking?

    A. You do have to use your tag to access and pay for 'Priority pick up', however you can still park for free for 15 minutes, a short walk from the terminal, in ‘Express Pick Up’. 

  • Q: How do I know I've entered an area where my tag will be charged?

    A: You'll see an 'E' sign before access the parking area

Contacting us by email or web (including log-in)

  • Q. You have told me you’ve emailed, but I don’t have the email

    A. We recommend you check your ‘junk’ mail and add  to your trusted or safe list.  If you’re using a work email address, please check whether the firewall settings may prevent the email getting to you.   If using a mobile device, ensure there are no syncing or mail box limit issues.

  • Q. I’m having trouble accessing your website, what should I do?

    A. Our website works best with the latest version of Google Chrome.  Check to see if you have the latest version of your browser installed.  Clearing your browsing history may also help.

  • Q. How can I reset my password/PIN?

    A. You can select the ‘Forgotten Password’ link and you will be asked to enter your email address and account number.  A new temporary password will be emailed to you.  Please note that your PIN used to access online services may differ to your telephone 4 digit PIN.

  • Q. I can’t remember my account number, what can I do?

    A. You will find your account number at the top of your statement or within an email we have sent you.   You can also email us or telephone us on 1300 555 833 between 8am and 7pm Monday to Friday, or 9am and 1pm on Saturday We’ll provide your account number once we verify your identity. 

  • Q. I want to reset my password, but I can’t remember which email is linked to my account.

    A. Please email us  or call us on 1300 555 833 between 8am and 7pm Monday to Friday, or 9am and 1pm on Saturday.  We’ll provide your email address once we verify your identity.